Current News

/

ArcaMax

Wash. floods caused $182M in damage, Gov. Bob Ferguson says in seeking federal aid

Jim Brunner, The Seattle Times on

Published in News & Features

Washington's record-setting December floods caused $182.3 million in damage to roads and other public infrastructure, Gov. Bob Ferguson said Tuesday as the state submitted a formal application for federal disaster aid.

At a news conference, Ferguson said the state is asking President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration that would unlock Federal Emergency Management Agency public assistance funds to cover up to 75% of those costs.

"This historic flooding resulted in, we believe, the largest dollar amount of public infrastructure damage in Washington state in more than four decades, and that's counting for inflation," Ferguson said.

He emphasized the $182.3 million damage assessment submitted to FEMA is "a preliminary number" and is likely to grow as more information comes in.

Trump signed an initial emergency declaration amid the flooding in December, which authorized immediate federal help for search and rescue operations.

But hundreds of millions in broader FEMA aid requires a more sweeping major disaster declaration.

If that is approved by Trump, FEMA dollars would flow to partially reimburse the state and local governments for cleanup, debris removal and repairs to roads, levees, utility equipment and other damaged public infrastructure.

While FEMA aid has been routinely granted in the past to help states after major floods and fires, Trump has dialed back disaster assistance in some cases, while bragging about granting help to states that voted for him.

The administration twice rejected Washington's disaster aid request after the 2024 bomb cyclone.

"I am concerned, but I am optimistic," Ferguson said Tuesday when asked about the prospects of Trump approving Washington's latest request. Ferguson touted bipartisan support for the flood assistance, including all members of the state's congressional delegation.

The storm in December brought 18 days of rain and periods of high winds, causing landslides and fallen trees, damaging roads and levees.

More than 100,000 Washington residents were under evacuation orders during the storms, one person died and nearly 4,000 homes were damaged, according to state estimates.

 

Portions of Highway 2, a major cross-state route, were closed for months, with the highway only fully reopening to two-way traffic near Leavenworth last week.

Ferguson said the state, separately from its FEMA aid request, will work with the Federal Highway Administration on funding for repairs for Highway 2 and other major federal and state highways.

In addition to the public assistance grants, Ferguson said the state is applying for up to $36.6 million in disaster mitigation money, which would pay for upgrades such as flood walls to help prevent future damage from floods.

In January, the state also separately asked for more than $21 million in individual FEMA aid for people whose homes were damaged in the flooding.

The individual assistance program offers up to $43,600 to pay for temporary housing, repairs and other needs for people with losses not covered by insurance.

That individual help, like the aid for infrastructure repairs, all depends on whether Trump approves a major disaster declaration.

Ferguson said he has no estimate on how long it will take for Trump to make a decision on Washington's request.

The state has submitted hundreds of pages of data, charts and narratives along with its aid requests, in addition to a video pleading its case. Such decisions can take months.

"That's really up to FEMA and the federal government," Ferguson said. "We understand they have a process to go through."

_____


© 2026 The Seattle Times. Visit www.seattletimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus